Friday, 28th of November, 2014

Where would we be without the Police?

Egypt takes a day off to celebrate the nation’s finest men

| Written by makarona

Mon, 01/25/2010 - 09:23

Today, Egypt celebrates Police Day – a day that only traitors and other rational thinkers consider ironic in being an "enforced" holiday for both private and public sectors.

Unlike Mother’s Day, which gives thanks to little more than a few ounces of milk and some “rearing”, Police Day shows gratitude to a group of men capable of going to extremes to serve Egypt’s citizens. Indeed, not only are the police always willing to give us street directions and reduce our speeding fines gain-free, they also strive to support us where others fail.

Consider the example pictured below:

Police encourage young man to run like Forest Gump

Here, Tamer Kasool (dark red shirt) is being playfully encouraged by a group of caring neighborhood policemen to run as fast as possible in preparation for a marathon he had the next day. Kasool later said, “No one, not my athletics coach, not my father or my brothers, ever helped me prepare for a race or supported me in this way.”

Or look at Samir Menawar in the picture below (lying down).

Police try to stamp out a poor man on fire

Samir was an unfortunate victim of spontaneous human combustion, whereupon his body suddenly caught fire for no reason in the middle of a peaceful demonstration. Here you can clearly see the zeal and care with which the police tried to stamp the fire out.

Alternatively, look at the video below. In it you can see a dedicated policeman helping a regular citizen prepare for a cheek muscles competition he had the following week. Note how there is also a dedicated policeman just for warm ups.

The man later received first prize for cheek muscles. “I was just glad to be of service,” says the officer, “and even though my hand really hurt when I was helping him, I still did it because it is my duty.”

The list goes on, and for that, EKT would like to thank the police for their concerted efforts to keep the peace while simultaneously empowering the populace. It also notes that none of its writers have any racing or athletic competitions of any kind coming up.

EKT would also like to thank the people who captured these special moments documented here. They truly opened our eyes.

Mo-ha-med

Mon, 01/25/2010 - 03:59

Brilliant!!!
It's very lucky that we have such a dedicated police force - since, as you know, spontaneous-combustion-while-in-peaceful-demonstrations (or SCWIPD) has become a very widespread disease that demands the police officers to exhaust their legs to put out all those burning demonstrators.

I will be wearing black today - and only because that's the colour of the police's winter uniform.

Bassam

Tue, 01/26/2010 - 23:39

I was worried you would stop posting, the website was silent for quite a long period of time. Lets hope the authorities don't give you any trouble and if they do be sure to keep us updated.

Clickie

Wed, 01/27/2010 - 21:06

I just love it! :D

Keep on posting, EKT :)

Concerned Expatriate

Thu, 01/28/2010 - 00:58

It is about time that Egypt recognizes the value of its police force.
In addition to their Olympic training expertise, they are also experts in archeology.
As an archaeologist who found a rare mummy in the western desert, an international debate started over how old it could be... Nobody knew, so the mummy was sent to the attention of experts in various countries for analysis....

It was brought to the USA first, the US specialists said, it was 3,000 years old.

Then, the Japanese, precise as usually, found that it was 2.953 years old.

The Egyptians came with the final result: "The mummy is 2,953 years, 5 months, 2 weeks and 4 days old".
We curiously ask how they found this out, the Egyptians replied: "The mummy confessed after it was was taken to the Cairo police."

salata

Mon, 02/01/2010 - 08:10

this video is so sad,,it almost got me into tears
the rest is brilliant
keep it up

KaLaBiZu

Tue, 02/02/2010 - 15:05

The whole thing is just sad and drives tears..Please keep on posting guys..I love your black comedy

Anonymous

Thu, 02/04/2010 - 00:10

Laith Hirzallah

Fri, 02/19/2010 - 18:11

I believe that this article only concentrate on the negative side. I know that these actions are unjustified, but sometimes it is necessary.

Mohamed Karim Rashdan

Fri, 02/19/2010 - 19:47

It is really sad how the police abuse the power given to themjust to have fun. It is obvious in the clip that they are not Interrogating the victim, they are abusing him just to get a laugh out of it.

Menna

Sat, 02/20/2010 - 22:26

this video should be all over you guys. this is unacceptable and we shouldn't be be just watching!!

Omm Fatakaat

Thu, 03/11/2010 - 06:08

Guys,
I am very upset about how much the Egyptian society doesn't appreciate the police's hard work on keeping the streets and people safe. Seriously people, you should me ashamed.
For example, once I was driving at night and this guy was harassing me. So, the cop asked me to pullover and instead he started harassing me.
Obviously, I soo understand why he did that because he was trying to protect me from that other random guy by harassing me. Just another safety measure. Duh.

Jailan

Mon, 05/10/2010 - 21:33

Well I think there should not be any worries about the government giving you guys a hard time. Unless they get a translator or something which, you know, would be really expensive. xP

Anonymous

Tue, 05/25/2010 - 04:17

Laith Hizrallah, I believe we need to refresh your understanding of certain words. (it's not that difficult to look up meanings, I swear, just use that nice Google/Yahoo/MSN search bar at the top there. You just type the word eg. 'necessary' and state 'definiton'.)*

- Unjustified: Having no acceptable justification: shown to have no good or just reason or explanation.
- Necessary: 1- Absolutely essential 2- Needed to achieve a certain result or effect.

So you're telling us that while torture has no acceptable justification or good reason/explanation, it is absolutely essential?

Yes, I think we're certainly on the same page :)

* Yes, I know, it's all very complicated. Blame the West. They made the Internet. Shame on them.

salman elmanyahy

Tue, 10/12/2010 - 02:15

REMEMBER THE NAZI HENCHMEN:
Even after 65 years they're STILL persecuted(at least in Western countriesa....).In other words;the policemen in this video,and others who like to"create a little spontaneous combustion"SHOULD be PUBLICLY warned that they just may be exposed for some"spontaneous combustion"themselfes in a generation or two....
See you,funny guys,you're gonna LOVE our humour as much as we your.......

Alia

Thu, 11/04/2010 - 00:29

GOO BOLEEEC BEEBOOL (aka. Goo Police People) :P !
haha love it!

Hitcliff Thompson

Tue, 11/16/2010 - 13:13

well, on the one hand I wouldn't even treat this question ironically as supposed: we really need police to measure our not always friendly and logical activity like during some demonstrations or foolball matches. but on the other hand, i can't deny the fact of power abuse on the part of the police (I won't say all of them are cruel, but there are many cases I read about in the numerous articles found by http://filecraft.com SE which shocked me). when i come to think of it I remember the film "The Experiment" describing the Stanford prison experiment where the influence of power on human psyche was investigated. we need police, but we all need to remain human.

Anonymous

Fri, 12/03/2010 - 09:25

Brilliant :)

alex

Fri, 12/10/2010 - 08:43

Very good article and the issue with little discussion. Thanks
I myself am from Egypt and I would add that police abuse is happening every day and only becomes a public issue when the victim is lucky to have friends or between bloggers and journalists, when a clip into the hands of one of the latter. Often the victim is too scraps to talk about the abuse (which often includes not only playing, physical and verbal abuse, but also the false accusations and forced confessions.)
Two of my colleagues (who are women of a working class family who works in an NGO) were arrested at a subway station when an officer heard one of them criticizing the officer. They were beaten, detained for two days and were forced to sign false confessions. All this was orchestrated by a police officer in El Masr ADIMA whose pride was wounded by a whispered comment! The officer is still there, nothing really happened, even though the two women know the people who work in human rights organizations. Cases where rights organizations succeeded in holding the police responsible for abuses committed are rare (only a month ago a police officer was acquitted in Aswan, after killing a salesman "by mistake"!)
Thanks for writing this book, I hope more people will become aware of the poor conditions in Egypt are subjected to daily.

Anonymous

Thu, 01/13/2011 - 22:39

I hate to see officers of the law treating people with such disrespect. I can't even count how many times I've seen a police officer getting arrested for driving while intoxicated, when still on duty. This is what happens when police officers are allowed to do whatever they want without question for so long. There Sargent should take a lot of responsibility with this type of behavior as well. After all he is the one that is suppose to keep them in line. This is the golden rule for any business. There is always someone who is more powerful than you, and that person needs to make sure everyone else stays on good behavior.

Nelson

Sat, 01/15/2011 - 19:36

I would like to thank EKT for bringing up an excellent article like this. Your way of presenting the facts with black comedy is definitely unmatchable. I really laughed like anything after reading the Samir’s story in which he was an unfortunate Life alert victim of spontaneous human combustion and the police man helping him. Very funny! But I also liked the idea of a police day like any other day to show our respect for them. Anyway I think that this article only concentrate on the negative side. You should also try to think the other way.

Anonymous

Thu, 01/20/2011 - 16:43

Police are like this every, just not to this extent. Power abusing jerks who take advantage of people. They should consider being an electrician, that way the only person they can hurt is themselves.

Keith Fernie

Sat, 02/12/2011 - 23:57

Brilliant article on Police Day dated 25 January 2010.
How about a follow-up for Police Day a year later?

hayda

Sun, 04/03/2011 - 04:45

First of all, hello. Subject of discussion and I think as long as the police are not compelled to Guzel bi not use brute force is also a living thing as the police chat they need in our life ..

Jessica

Fri, 04/08/2011 - 15:52

I would be interessted in that too. I remember beeing in egypt 4 months ago while beeing on a aida cruise. At that the time it was still very peaceful. Would be be very interessted to hear about the present situation.

feyt

Sun, 04/10/2011 - 09:39

This is what happens when police officers are allowed to do whatever they want without question for so long. There Sargent should take a lot of responsibility with this type of behavior as well. After all he is the one that is suppose to keep them in line. This is the premium wp for any business. There is always someone who is more powerful than you, and that person needs to make sure everyone else stays on good behavior.

max

Tue, 04/12/2011 - 20:15

these videos are really abused, this is not permited to hit someone like that gameduell

flowers

Thu, 04/28/2011 - 10:07

i would like to speak my mind loud and clear please, watch youtube "riot forces" all over the world to know that we are not the only country that is using violence against outlaw,,,,,,,,i should speak frankly and say that there are real victims who suffered from certain police officers but who are the other people ,,,,,, they are muggers, rappers,murderers,pick pockets....etc. how can an officer treat them???? should they hug them and treat them kindly i don't think so........
take yourself as an example if you are a good person respecting laws and yourself before it you won't suffer from any tresspasses and the majority is.

dorotaloi

Thu, 05/19/2011 - 17:29

Good the cheeks competition wasn't a butt cheeks competition. Who knows how far the preparation would have gone?Orkut Scraps

undercoverEG

Fri, 05/20/2011 - 21:05

Samir was an unfortunate victim of spontaneous human combustion

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

fashy5a

David Miller

Wed, 06/15/2011 - 12:13

just by looking at this video the Egyptian government should've captured the police man in the video it show his name is mustafa and he smokes so then they should track him down but even the governmet is too lazy to do stuff i hope he gets tortured in hell
carpet kits for trucks

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.